Wednesday, November 16, 2005

city of broad shoulders

This weekend I had the delightful opportunity to see some people and places that were essential to the formation of my being. On Thursday I flew to Chicago and was immediately immersed in the scents and sounds of the city that I hate to love (or is that love to hate?). It’s not that it’s a bad city per se; it’s just that every corner of it has the potential to trigger flashbacks to the spiritual, emotional and intellectual growing pains I experienced whilst in its lower belly (Hyde Park).

As you know, I enjoy the science fiction genre. I also enjoy places that could pass for a setting within said genre. To me, the tunnel from O’Hare to the CTA trains reminds me of such a place. There’s a huge wall of glass behind which colors fade into each other in order to give the effect of movement. It’s the brightest source of light in the tunnel and so colorful that it gives that clean, futuristic look.




Of course the first thing I noticed about the El was the pungent combination of urine, hair oil and good ole fashioned BO. The second thing I noticed was how my personal space had grown considerably larger. All of the close contact on the El made me sweat in anticipation and fear of actual human touch.
Once downtown, the excitement begins…




Carson Pirie Scoot was unveiling a rather fashionable window display. I had to take a picture of this display because I love the concept of sparkle in both clothing style and lifestyle choice. Plus, this mannequin could be a doppelganger for me, no?




The Chicago River as it is fed by Lake Michigan. I think they dye it green for St. Patrick’s day.




I arrived at the huge and comfortable casa de Klein and was greeted by some small ladies:

Bassie uses the expression “so so” in order to emphasize her ideas, as in, “Isn’t that so so funny?”




And though I could not understand everything that Dina said, she is super cute and greasy when she eats:





Did I mention the skillz these ladies possess on the computer? At 2.5, Dina can open up a web browser, find her bookmarks and play games. Bassie is fluent in C++ and edits home movies. They’re amazing!




On Friday night, our former roommate, Madeline, came over. She had to leave Saturday morning, so we didn’t have much time. Madeline is currently the fanciest lady I know. She has nice clothes, hair, nails, breath, brassieres, etc. Her job is to meet with very wealthy people and convince them to give her money to do things like save weird nearly extinct animals that I’d never heard of and recreate prairies in Montana. I got a makeup lesson and pointers for looking my best as I am WAY behind in my quest to become a fancy lady. I am firmly recommitted to smelling and looking nice.




I ventured down to the HP for some Candice visiting and Med eating.




I always loved campus in the fall. It seems so regal and European.

















Saturday night was amazing and all I can really say is that my mind was blown. In addition to witnessing true playas in action and some serious letting down of the hair (if you know what I mean), I drank 3 ciders, which is a personal record.

On Sunday I got to sit in an all women audience to see Rachel in an all women’s musical. It was my first experience in a huge sea of only (mostly) orthodox Jewish women.

Sadly, I had to leave on Monday, but because my plane ride was 4 hours, I was able to nearly finish reading The Game! As most of our weekend revolved around concepts within this book, it feels good to finally be done.



Big whoop whoop to the Klein family for the fun visit!

No comments: