My oldest friend in the world, Will, rode a wing-ed arrow into town last week for a mere 24 hours. Through either the voodoo magic of time freezing or great time management, they ended up jam-packed with goodness (reminiscences and catching up on the current state of life, with a dash of super Mario Brothers). He was in town on official business, which involved listening to people talk about why he should want to bring his enormous brain to their company and solve problems related to making huge sums of money.
Being of no money or knowledge thereof, I learned a lot of information about the money business. For example, I know now that a mutual fund is when someone’s pile of money is nestled into a variety pack of investments. I also now know that “private equity” is the job to have as it is “high risk, high reward”—companies buying other companies and fixin ‘em up and then reselling them for a profit, sort of like refurbishing old cars. I learned that working with the right private equity firm can make one a 100 millionaire in approximately 5 years. This was news to me, as I thought only ballers and movie stars could make that kind of dough.
Being of no money or knowledge thereof, I learned a lot of information about the money business. For example, I know now that a mutual fund is when someone’s pile of money is nestled into a variety pack of investments. I also now know that “private equity” is the job to have as it is “high risk, high reward”—companies buying other companies and fixin ‘em up and then reselling them for a profit, sort of like refurbishing old cars. I learned that working with the right private equity firm can make one a 100 millionaire in approximately 5 years. This was news to me, as I thought only ballers and movie stars could make that kind of dough.
It all started on Tuesday, when Will unexpectedly arrived early for his day of presentations. I whisked him off to a sushi restaurant downtown for some catching up and a lesson on the practicality of Shout disposable wipes. After his meeting, we drove to EPA for a Pruett staple—pizza. We met my lover and chowed down. Will and my lover had not seen nor talked for many years, and I believe it was a joyous reunion. We went home to play Blokus, followed by a few rounds of Super Mario Brothers. We both remembered the levels and secrets on each level pretty well, which means that we must have spent a good portion of our youthful brain development time on video gaming. It brought so many memories into clearer focus. Throughout our time, Will and I were able to share childhood secrets and triumphs from the safe distance of adulthood and it was awesome--like reconnecting with an old friend, except one who understands where all of your bad habits came from and might also possess them (ie totally awesome family therapy)! I also learned a lot about his current life, got to know my sister-in-law better (anecdotally) and hear cute Frank stories. A rousing success!
No comments:
Post a Comment