Sunday, June 01, 2008

June, my favorite month

It seems as if I have somehow (and certainly at the expense of my happiness and emotional stability) survived one entire year of teaching high school. I guess I shouldn’t say that because I technically have three more days, and with me you never know. But with high probability I will walk into work for three more days and then be done. Next year will be very different. I’m working part time, which will alleviate one of the biggest problems this year—teaching for the first time while being a full time student in a teaching program (which is filled with the most asinine and redundant classes imaginable that you are required to attend, lest you be punished for skipping. What a nightmare.). Secondly, I am not longer in my first year of teaching, which I have been assured makes a difference. This fact alone is the beacon navigating me towards a second try at something that was miserable. This and meeting some awesome people, including, quite possibly, a true life mentor.

Next year, even though I am still going to be taking those infuriatingly stupid teaching classes, I hope to regain some sense of normalcy. My plans include such luxuries as: reading, taking baths, having friends again, cooking, volunteering at the cat shelter, knitting, watching the wire, blogging, going on walks, taking another astronomy class, learning how to use my new astroscan telescope (present from Rose) and sleeping peacefully. But let’s not dwell on the logistics of my working life…especially when an awesome vacation is beckoning me into the summer!

I’m going to Boston for my brother’s graduation and warm family times, then to NY for Steve’s wedding, and finally to Iceland (and Norway) with my moms and aunty. Have I told you I’m going on vacation with those two ladies? Because it will be awesome and filled with pastries, in addition to dashes of the following: going to bed early, getting up at the crack of dawn, afternoon naps, showers at night, sisterly shenanigans, eating many meals, walking slowly, and general agreeableness. Older (but young at heart) people are awesome, and vacationing with them will be doubly awesome. In previous world adventures, I went with young people or just by myself, which was fun in a different way and usually financed with credit cards. It will be strange to travel with people who might possibly pay with their debit cards and probably not need to make frantic calls to the credit card company to figure out how close to the credit limit a new Turkish rug will bring them (maybe I’m just talking about me here)!

Yesterday, I got carded--almost a full ten years after I became legally able to purchase alcohol. Such occurrences never cease to make me happy, especially when I have so much new, grey hair that I can’t even pluck them out anymore. I am also at that point in my life where I’m comfortable with NOT being carded, which is important for embracing the aging process.

No comments: