Monday, January 16, 2012

baby, baby, more baby

Maternity clothes have not made an appearance in my pregnancy thus far. At first, I really didn’t need them, given my propensity for clothes that are a little too big for me (I knew that would pay off!). Now, I just don’t feel like I should buy them with less than 2 months of pregnancy remaining. In addition to not wearing maternity clothes, I’m done with the wearing of pants. It’s been a month since I wore them! I only wear dresses and leggings now! I have a rotating collection of six dresses (one for every day of the work week plus an extra). Shopping for them happened in the following way:

1. Go to Macy’s
2. Find the most deeply discounted rack in the area (70% off plus an addition 15%. MINIMUM acceptable discount)
3. Find the largest dresses I can
4. Try them on to make sure they are not completely inappropriate/hideous and purchase as appropriate.

It’s totally great! I purchased my sixth dress this weekend and it only cost $23, which I think is cheaper than maternity clothes.

Here are some baby scans that I’ve had. I had them at 9, 13 and 20 weeks and I haven’t had one since. (on a side note, I am totally the kind of patient that reads the NT measurement off of the screen and then goes and goggles the normal range when they won't tell you 1. what your number is (it's totally easy to figure out) and 2. whether or not it's normal because they don't have your blood work to plug into their statistical model. I think it's called being a "good patient", though others might disagree. I would also probably, if given the opportunity, look at any stray files laying around about my health.)



I know from many a babycenter forum that people get those 3D/4D scans to see what their baby looks like in utero, but it seems dumb to me because all babies sort of look the same (scientific fact: it ensures that any old man can see himself in the baby and is therefore more likely to protect and care for it). What you really want to know is what your baby will look like in 6 months. Thank goodness this kind of advanced Japanese technology exists at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk!

On a final note, babycenter is getting crazy awesome now--tonight there was a post titled "pregnant and on probation". This is the biggest internet obsession I've had since the first 2 months after joining facebook.

2 comments:

Wiggle's mom said...

I think he's a total cutie! :)

I didn't do maternity clothes for my first mostly
either. I did break down and get a pair of maternity pants and a couple of shirts at the very end (shirred
sides are awesome) because most of the girth for
the babe and you is put on in the last couple of months.
This pregnancy, however, has required maternity pants from early on and I now have reached the same conclusion as you - no pants!! So much more comfortable.
Also, I am the same kind of "good" patient. It's amazing how many docs don't appreciate the legwork I put into an appointment. ;)

Aurelia said...

If you asked for a copy of your chart/file, I think they'd have to give it to you... it's your body, your data, right?