Sunday, September 23, 2012

4 weeks into the year

School started, and there have been some triumphs, most notably the viewing of a hip hop dressage video in my homeroom class (teach them what they need to know for life!).  I had not taught for 6 months, and getting back into the swing of things was a bit more difficult than I’d anticipated.  It’s smoothing out now, though, and I’m finally able to stay for an hour and a half to work after school.  I think that’s about my limit now that I have a kid.  He goes to bed so early that I can simply work in the evenings (fun!).  I’m also trying out a bold new wardrobe tactic this week.  Does anyone recall the purple jeans I owned my senior year of high school/all through college?  Remember the mid-90’s, when colored jeans were in fashion (at least with me)?  Apparently that fashion has come around again!  We are not allowed to wear jeans at work, except on Friday.  I noticed, however, a very hipster colleague of mine wearing colored jeans on a day that was not a Friday and decided to try it out for myself.  Will it work?  I cannot make colored jeans look as cool as her, but are they more professional than blue jeans?  Only time will tell on this one.

Quickies:   
Did you know that STEM is now STEAM? There’s art in there!  This makes me unbelievably happy and I’m now emboldened enough to make my awesome Bohr model of the atom Christmas ornaments an actually assignment for a grade! Art and creativity are recognized as being crucial to science.  YES.

Speaking of creativity and the brain, this research has finally affirmed that being into music is the BEST thing for a budding young mind.  As a person who felt alone in my almost fanatical devotion to the classical music lifestyle as a teen (I was dismayed when the classical radio station became alternative rock), this is deeply affirming.  In my experience, orchestra nerds = smartest kids.  Now science agrees!  I’m about to go Leopold Mozart on Theo.  Instead of touring him around royal palaces in search of a patron, I will tour him around celebrity residences in Hollywood.  So far, he is excelling at buzzing his lips, which we all know is a gateway to the brass instruments.

My parents are moving to CA, which we’re all incredibly excited about.  Now blog posts will have 100% more Pruett pictures!

Theo is now seven months old (and has two bottom teeth!), and of course there was an in-swing photo shoot to commemorate this fact.


No comments: