Wednesday, March 12, 2014

the winter of my discontent



This has been one eventful winter in the P-B-Y household.  A main sticking point has been the residency of a nearly SEVEN WEEK illness in my body (Saturday will be the completion of week 7).  I have never in my life been as sick as I have these past few months.  If you know me, you can probably guess that I am an ardent believer in and supporter of vaccines (otherwise known as medical science).  Five years ago, I was stricken with the flu and it was so horrible that I vowed to always get the flu vaccine.  I assumed that this yearly devotional to medicine meant that I would be spared that painful experience for the foreseeable future.  This was not to be my fate, however, as the chills, pain and wishing for death descended upon me rapidly and without mercy.  

Getting the flu is the absolute worst.  I had to take 2.5 days off from work (but still send in some lesson plans.  sometimes teaching can be the worst.) and had bodily temperature regulation issues for a good month.  When you have the flu, you can’t watch TV on your Kindle Fire, you can’t eat and you certainly can’t take care of a baby.  I was quarantined and slept every moment I was home.  The residual effect of exhaustion lasted for about five weeks, during which Theo basically lost interest in my existence.  This flu episode was followed by both a horrible, six week long cough (almost gone) and then a full blown head cold.  It was the closest to chronic illness that I have experienced and it was awful.  There’s a real breaking of the spirit that happens when you can’t seem to recover from an ailment.  It was terrifying to realize that if I were ever stricken with an actual chronic illness, I would need some serious mental adjustment, as my baseline personality is too impatient and dark for me to be the kind of person to triumph in medical adversity.  

I did manage to drive myself to the park a couple of times (while Natan walked) and take some pictures of Theo wearing his glasses (he is a very willful child and doesn’t wear them as often as he should).



 
 Climbing on concrete stairs does not phase him.

No comments: