Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I don’t want to live in a world where my math is wrong


We took a red-eye to Boston because I’d read somewhere that it was a smart thing to do when traveling with a toddler. In actuality, it was not—though, honestly, I don’t think there is any good way to fly with an opinionated little person who has perfected his own piercing scream.  Our flight was delayed at take-off due to equipment problems (because now most airlines are apparently outsourcing repair jobs to China (literally flying the plane to China to have it fixed) because it’s cheaper.  U-S-A!).  So, by the time the lights dimmed, he was out, a situation that only lasted for about 2.5 of the 5.5 hour flight.  He was in a surprisingly good mood for only sleeping a few hours, but when we arrived at our hotel (the heavily-branded Aloft), we all had to sleep the rest of the day.  So, a day was wasted, but it would have been wasted anyway in the travel.  I still prefer a non-stop flight over a 12 hour one-stop journey, but my partner does not, which presents the first ever disagreement of our 18 year-union (lol, lol, j/k).  

Staying at Aloft was completely entertaining and so worth it—very reminiscent of the Amy Schumer bit about a fancy hotel (where the elevator was called “soar”).  The pool at Aloft is called “splash”, the business center is “tactic”, the breakfast area is “refresh” and there was a big bar in the middle of the hotel called, “wxyz”.  The bar, in a whimsical touch, pumps dance music into the hotel all day and is open until 1 am!  The only drawback was the lack of a bath tub, which meant that Theo was only bathed twice on our entire trip (no bath tub on the houseboat either).   The wedding we attended was really fun—all of Natan’s old college buddies were there (some with kids!), and a taco truck catered the dinner.  I ate my first official s’more of the summer (super cute wedding gift idea).  The speeches were all really well-done, including the best story about the groom, who was (is?) an avid rock climber and had done a bunch of calculations for drop off of a bridge that he was preparing to do in the middle of the night.  When his friend expressed some concern over the danger of the stunt and asked him if he was sure his calculations were right, the groom responded with, “I don’t want to live in a world where my math is wrong.” (!)   There was also some classic wedding debauchery—the lady who showed up at the Sunday brunch wearing the same outfit she wore to the wedding the night before and searching the ground for her phone (yes!).  This might be the last wedding I go to for a while, since I’m now on the downward side of 30 (well, the last first marriage?  Maybe remarriages will start to happen at some point?).  Here are some photos (I took surprisingly few because I was not on my vacation A-game, as mentioned earlier):

 Backyard vows.
 These dudes basically all look the same, 15 years later.  The blurry head is Morri.
 In the light of day, left side.
 In the light of day, right side (groom profile).

No comments: