Saturday, January 03, 2015

Shot from the Christmas canon


Break started off fast and weird this year. It was raining during my work luncheon, which was awesome as I have come to despise consistently sunny and dry weather and think that I much prefer a Temperate Rainforest to a Chaparral biome. My parents arrived on day 1 and on day 2 I went to a funeral in the morning and heard a selection of baroque through modern Christmas carols sung by an all-male chorus in the evening. It was jarring, to say the least. Needless to say funerals are the worst, and unexpected ones absolutely devastating. The next day, we went to Blues and Biscuits, where I had the startling realization that the only time I like hearing songs about the sweet baby Jesus is when they have a jazzy and sultry edge to them (a sentiment Natan said was blasphemous).

After that, we sort of lounged and prepared for Christmas, which required a trip to the storage unit, where I have been keeping Theo’s Santa gift for a year. I am super proud to say that all of his gifts were either from a consignment store or craigslist, so I did not contribute to the story of stuff this year. The best thing about the bay area is all of the wealthy people who sell their nice, barely used stuff for great prices! Theo got around $700 worth of plan city stuff this year (for much less) and has been in heaven! I didn’t know if he’d like it a year ago, but I knew it was high quality and a bargain, so I bought it and have been pleasantly surprised as he’s become obsessed with trains, cars, lights and city infrastructure.





I know it looks like the total spoiling of a child, but it’s been a big hit.  We also got him some of those big cardboard bricks for building.  They took an hour for three people to put together and have the most ridiculous instruction pictures ever.














Here are some more pics of Christmas morning. Next year we are banning all presents, except for small children (there will be two!).
 








 Dad made paella again and we all fawned over Theo.
It wouldn't be a family get-together without mandatory porch pictures.




No comments: