Sunday, September 04, 2016

hot take 1

Bullet points from the week
  • I am firmly coming into my own as a monthly donor of small sums of money to organizations that I believe in.  As a part-time worker, full-time student, part-time (?) parent, I don’t have a lot of time or money to give, but a few years ago, I decided it was important nonetheless.  Can you guess where my money goes?  It’s a fun exercise—just think of the two most hated organizations by the Republican party and bingo!  (answer at bottom)
  • I was discussing desserts in the lunchroom this week (as I do on a fairly regular basis) and ranking my interests when I made the bold proclamation that I would rather eat a graham cracker than ice cream(!). 
  • I purchased a fall cardigan for Charlie for $0.68 on clearance at Old Navy, which means that I can officially retire as a bargain shopper, but I probably need to brush up on my woke bae fundamentals. 
  •  New glasses for me and prescription sunglasses for Theo! 



BACK TO SUMMER VACATION!

In June, I officially turned 39, which means the constant joking about facing down 40 really doesn’t work anymore as I am officially middle-aged now.  I’m ready for my red Corvette, younger husband, and basement filled with old arcade games.   The school year finally ended and I began the task of decompression from what was a really hard year.  I taught 3 different science subjects in 3 different classrooms every day, and it felt like a rollercoaster that I could barely hang on to.  I’d be going deep on the topic of mining, and then have a 10 minute break before going deep on genetics, and then another 10 minute break until I launched into electron orbitals.  It was intense—the shifting of gears quickly isn’t so easy when you’re middle aged.  I feel a little bit like a HS science robot doll now—just give me a topic and I will launch in to whatever I know about it.   

This year is already better as I’ve scale back and shifted gears a little bit, though my mind is perhaps more fragmented since I’m balancing more demands from entirely different organizations (daycare, preschool, my school, work school).  I have started my educational journey into school psychology and so far it is great—I really like what I’m reading and it speaks to my soul to work with migrant workers and English language learners.  It feels like the right decision with no hesitation, though now I wonder why it took me so long to get here.  I guess life is probably always like this.  Also, my training as a paper-writing robot from years of working in education is really paying off (remember when I had to write a 4 page paper per week to clear my credential when I was on maternity leave with Theo?!).  I can pump pages out like no one’s business, which means that school is super-duper easy for me in middle age.  

June was a pretty chill month, vacation-wise, as well.   We went to hear Paul Simon in Berkeley, which was really nice.  Such a chill and happy concert.  It was on a night where we could see Mars and Jupiter in the sky!


 Big brothers are good for feeding.
 Happy boys at the preschool picnic.

 The water table is a favorite toy around here on hot days.
 I took Theo on a lightrail ride to eat sushi and shave ice.

 We also ate peanut butter mochi--it was  day filled with Japanese/Hawaiian delights.
We went down to LA to visit Natan’s aunt, which was really fun.  For the record, when Theo goes on vacation he is ecstatic nearly every single day.  On our drive down we stopped at Avila Beach, which is the best place I’ve ever been on earth—the weather is perfect, the beach is easy, and the fish tacos are to die for.  I was so smitten that we stopped on the way back as well.  

 


 Avila Beach--swings in the sand!
 The perfect vacation spot.
While in LA, we swam in the pool every day, visited Venice Beach and an awesome children’s museum, and took a short trip to San Diego to visit Natan’s cousin. I also got two tickets and sat for so.many.hours in traffic.  All in all, a success!

 Venice Beach, main drag, early in the am.


Collecting sand from Venice Beach--Natan was grossed out by the "heroin-addict pee-infused sand" (that's a paraphrase).
Natan and Charlie flew down to meet us and the pilot held him on his "first" flight (he took two last summer, but who's counting?)


There's a large water mammal behind us at the San Diego Zoo (which is insanely expensive--I think we ended up spending like $300 there on entrance and food).
 We rode the tram (which Theo calls the trim).
 Cousin time!
 Back to Avila Beach and the best fish tacos in the world (also sand and beach).
June was the month for Theo's eye surgery.  He did great, though the experience of witnessing a 4 year old come out of general anesthesia is not the best.  They had to give him morphine to sedate him in order to make the transition a little better.  However, it was during this experience that the nurse told me I was a great mom and should have more children (!)--compliment of the month!

(ANSWER: Black Lives Matter and Planned Parenthood!)

No comments: