Whelp, an awful lot has happened since I last blogged. I left this space feeling like I wanted to
debrief our family summer travels, and now look at us. Inauguration eve, and I guess there’s no
better time than now to jump back in? I
will be teaching tomorrow, dutifully drowning out thoughts of the ceremonial
beginning of the end, in favor of making many small decisions all day long (aka
teaching, the hardest job I will ever have).
We’re studying water quality, and teaching anything about the
environment is just downright depressing these days. After the election, I gave an impassioned
speech to my students about the importance of understanding the science of the
environment in times like these, when morally bankrupt rich people hem and haw
in front of congressional committees, blissfully lacking in empathy or
conscience. The truth is that it’s hard
to be optimistic when you wake up anxious and feel as if the world is made of
madmen who see black where you see white.
I’ve been to the parts of Mississippi that are the subject many stories and
grew up in the racist milieu of the white people who voted for Trump (SEMO and
Arizona, for the win!). Those places
seemed safer when the government was a step ahead of them, forcing them into
the present—like they’d eventually get there, to more education, compassion,
worldliness. Now it doesn’t seem
possible, like they’re just going to eat up anything with needs that are not
their own. Ever since we visited MS, I’ve
been pestering Natan to move there as school psychologists, and make our
careers about school change in places that seem unchangeable. I don’t have that dream anymore. Now I worry about my kids more than anything,
and want desperately for them to have a social safety net and a sense that the
people in charge have a moral compass. I
don’t want their sense of the world and right/wrong to be based on chasing
money. I don’t want every single
freaking moral decision that is made to be supported with some “economic
argument”. What about making policy
because it’s the right thing to do to help people? There is a toxicity to our culture/political
system that I can’t handle right now as a parent. I’m just trying to make their life
experiences happy and removed from the greater culture. We have a while, still, where we are able to
shelter them, and that at least gives me some comfort.
Life is super busy right now for us, and it feels like I might not be able to blog much while I’m in this big career change. It’s much harder than I realized to be working, in school, and have kids. Within each of those spheres are a million little responsibilities and tasks and I feel like I am never without something to follow up on, scan in, or deal with. We’re in transition right now as a family—Theo’s going to school next year, Charlie will start preschool, I’m taking full time classes for the next year and a half, Natan will be taking classes for a while. All the moving parts have so many levers to make them work. It’s maddening. I miss blogging, and writing out my thoughts, but I have very little time to do anything these days.
Brief summary and some pics
I finally got to write a paper on The Wire, an activity I
didn’t realize I was craving! I did an
analysis of Dukie from a bio-psycho-social perspective for a social work class
(that I otherwise did not enjoy). The
paper was fun, though. In conclusion,
the stabilizing benefits of the school system are not enough to make a
difference in the lives of kids who lives and communities are chaotic.
I also wrote a lot about early childhood education, which
always causes an existential crisis in a fan of the enlightenment and
rationality such as myself. I mean,
there are amazing longitudinal and latitudinal datasets available that support
the economic benefit of universal pre-K, especially for those in poverty. Nobel Prize winning work, even! Yet, here we sit as a country debating its
merits. It boggles the mind. It likewise drives me crazy when I’m in any
meeting where technology in the classroom is being discussed. I mean, there is actual data to support
school-wide policy decisions!? Why is
anything being “discussed”? Can we not
just look at what works and do it? The
answer is no, we cannot, because we like the sound of something and think it
would be fun to try, data be damned.
But I digress, Theo is really into Pokemon Go. We take lots of Poke walks and he likes to
stick eyeballs on things and call them Pokemon.
Charlie is walking, but not talking, and is smitten with
Natan, his favorite parent. He broke his thumb in a fall out of the crib (November was horrendous on so many fronts), but got used to the cast fairly quickly.
We had a lot of people come for Christmas! It was excellent.
We got a family santa picture, which felt really weird.

No comments:
Post a Comment