I made this goal with another art in mind: cake decorating. Oh, to be able to whip up some intricate, delicate sweet dessert on a moments notice--adorned with flower petals, or some whimsical frosting design! I would surely have a long line of visitors, ready to partake in sugary goodness.
So my training regime is off to a good (mid-summer) start with the launching (for myself) of the Cake of the Week series. Though I meant to bake this week’s cake last week, I was distracted with phone talking (to the brilliant Rachel Klein) and watermelon-lemonade ice pop making. Today I made a spongy orange cake with chocolate-orange-honey glaze in the middle and on top. Coincidentally, it is kosher for Passover.

cake

cake 2
It is definitely not for the orange-hater as it is overwhelmingly orange. I can’t say I like it very much, but I’m sure someone (dad) will when he comes to visit in a few weeks.
In other news, I am trying to figure out concepts such as “zoom” and “flash” on my new digital camera. I took a few pictures of my house for those who have not yet enjoyed EPA to get a feel for my home environment. In said (and shown) home environs, I cleaned up a storm this weekend. I did such things as: vacuuming the corners, bleaching tile grout, cleaning window sills, mopping. Ostensibly because I want to be clean, but really, because my parents are coming.

home

flowers outside my house

where the magic happens...

my yard and container garden (tomatoes and zucchini)

the fauna (and flora) living in my house
Also this great, anti-social/Stepford weekend, I finished watching the entire Firefly series on DVD. It’s a sci-fi western, and it is FANTASTIC. A future where everyone speaks English and Chinese and there’s a union for “companions”? A government bent on experimenting with it’s peoples to make better warriors? That Joss Whedon is on to something…
No comments:
Post a Comment