Saturday, February 04, 2006

roaring fire of love

I have many pokers in the fire right now, and thus not as much blogging time, which makes me sad. But hopefully, I can meld my pokers together and incorporate parts of them into the others, thus making a mega-poker of awesomeness (aka more blogging about the other pokers).

Poker 1: Junior college statistics. While this may seem odd to those who have been let in to my totally mind-blowing mathematical abilities, it is in fact happening. For reasons unbeknownst to me (oh yes, wait, the reasons were: totally boring subject), I have never taken statistics. So in order to join the world of those who can read stem and leaf diagrams, I enrolled at the local JC. It’s sort of fun and admittedly all new to me, but sort of bad for the worst parts of me (ego) because I am definitively the best student and I’ve begun staging “games” for each test (we have one a week). On the first test I got 100%, so the next week I decided to be the first one finished. This was disastrous as I wrote down a wrong number from my calculator and got a 95%. So this week, I decided to be the first one finished and get 100%, which I can, with high probability, say I did. In some ways, though, I see this obvious gloating as a way to regain some of the confidence lost in the trenches of the cold, hard U of C. Whatever purpose it serves, it takes up five hours of my life every week in class time and more in homework time, thus seriously cutting into other endeavors, like writing a wedding book.

Poker 2: Writing a wedding book. I’ve been sort of thinking about/planning my hypothetical wedding for a while now, and can say that there is no wedding book out there that appeals to me (an introspective, educated, relatively older urban woman attuned to the irony of such a celebration as it currently stands through my aesthetic of post-modernity). My wedding book, as I conceive of it, is inspired by the DIY movement and I think I have a lot of good ideas. It’s part informative/part ideas/part self-reflection. I find it extremely odd that no wedding planning books mention tradition and meaning and focus instead on how to fit limo service into a budget. Granted, maybe the people who I’m writing my book for would never buy a wedding book to begin with, but that’s sort of a mute point.

Poker 3: The arrival of a very special companion who will undoubtedly want to play many board games and talk late into the night.

No comments: