Sunday, April 05, 2009

of mice and garbage men

This week I start my final two classes (online) to finish my teaching credential. I was dismayed to learn that I have a 4 page paper due each week (in addition to the work for the in-person class I’m taking), making the total papers due until completion a robust 11. This should tell you something about my infuriating teacher credential program. Eleven papers to write during the next 10 weeks. We wonder why education is so effed up when the programs that train teachers focus on busy work over quality and do not emphasis the use of the adult brain to any extent. I don’t think I had to do this much work over my entire college career and I certainly learned how to think and be educated. Man, internet, don’t get me riled up!

In other news, I created another Peeps diorama because I discovered that my original one had a direct competitor! It was fun and immediately after it’s creation, I got sick yet again, prompting a visit to the doctor wherein I discovered that I had both ear and tonsil infections which required the hard stuff (antibiotics). When I went back to school, one of my friends informed me that teachers come into contact with more bacteria than garbage men! Yay, most under appreciated job in the country!


Peeps Diorama II

This peeps diorama depicts the most special day of the week at one of the campus coffee shops--Wednesday, when milkshakes cost but a dollar. During this day, there is often a line of people outside the coffee shop (called the C-shop) waiting for a taste of the partially-melted, hastily-made mythical dollar milkshake. An awesome U of C tradition!


One Saturday night, I made a handful of tiny peeps outfits with old fabric from an aborted quilt project. I just cut some stuff up and made little pants, then stuffed them! (I have supplies like stuffing on hand in my house due to various spurts of crafting inspiration. I also have an extensive sticker collection). This was very fun and I have a tiny polar bear felt pattern that I want to try now with some old felt (making tiny things is apparently a new hobby of mine).


I took my clothed peeps into the kitchen to figure out how big the background needed to be. The paper is just red-orange textured scrapbooking paper.


The C-Shop from above and before I glued on the people line guider (the black thing made out of ribbon and wood pegs). The floor is just a tile image that I printed in black and white.


Everything fell down.


The C-shop is complete, except for the side walls.


Now the peeps have books. I downloaded some images of classic texts and then changed the titles to peep-themes in powerpoint. (The Republic of Peepo and The Pelopopeepian War) I just printed them out and glued them onto some poster board stuff that I had.


The final product.

No comments: