Sunday, March 15, 2009

Banff/peeps

Last night we went to the Banff film festival, which was marginally good. I’m sorry, but when it comes to adventure film-making, they all seem like vanity projects to me. “Oh, I want to go on an awesome kayaking trip. Let me see if I can get a grant to pay for it if I agree to make a film about it that mentions the word science”. There was a good movie about dudes who do bike tricks, but again, there was something missing (perhaps meaning). Next weekend I’m going to the Asian American film festival to see a documentary about an Asian high school principal in New York. I have higher hopes for that one.

I’m finally done with the peeps diorama that I’m entering into my college alumni magazine contest. I posted the summary on facebook, and it feels weird to repost it, but what am I supposed to do about people who aren’t my facebook friends (like my mom)? I feel like my online life is becoming too complex.

My college alumni magazine is having a peeps diorama contest. The diorama has to allude to something characteristic of the university (University of Chicago). I decided to do a peeps version of the polar bear run held at the end of a beloved winter festival. Called Kuviasungnerk/Kangeiko, this festival involves early morning yoga and calisthenics, and late night hot cocoa and pancakes. For a week, students get up early to participate in this festival and the last day is highly anticipated because of the naked polar bear run (a run through the campus to Lake Michigan). Most students run in their underwear, but there's always that one guy.....

The beginning and best part of the peeps diorama--making underwear!


Initial blocking of the scene. I had intended for it to be deep, but it didn't work out so well, so I cut things up to make a smaller scene.


Storage for the peeps in costume and the little trees.


The picture the peeps "run" into--the U of C gates.


Before I created the "wintery Chicago", I sort of set it up to make sure the trees were appropriately placed.


Diorama snow! This step felt kind of toxic, so I tried to take lots of quick shallow breaths.


Wintery gate scene. What are those gates called anyway? The "When Harry Met Sally" gates?


Some initial blocking for the naked and running peeps in order to make sure they could all be seen.


Peep down!


I took it outside and cropped it, but I'm not 100% happy with it. It's not sunny, so I'm going to try again when there's full sun and no wind. The lack of sun seems a little bleak to me.

No comments: