Sunday, March 01, 2009

Flu: 3 and Pruett household: 0

So I got the flu for the first time ever and it was humiliating to have to answer ‘no’ to the inevitable flu shot question. Why would I not get the flu shot? Because I’m not used to having 150 vectors for disease every single day. Because prior to becoming a teacher, I hadn’t been sick for over a year. Now I know, and will be vaccinated accordingly in the future. The flu was unlike any illness I’ve ever had. I did not get out of bed or eat for 3 days and I thought at times that I might be dying. My core temperature vacillated between cold and hot, on a regular sinusoidal curve. The flu ended with a lingering nausea that made life unpleasant. All told, it’s been 3 weeks since I got it and I’m still only at 98%. Man!

So some other things:

1. We bought plane tickets to Australia for part of our summer break (main goals: snorkeling and the outback)

2. One of my pictures from Norway is in a schmap guide! It was pretty exciting to be asked for its use (for free), but then when I googled for more info, I found out that it’s kind of controversial. Professional photographers are peeved because you aren’t compensated and it makes it harder for them to get work, but amateur photographers don’t mind because it’s not their livelihood anyway.
Here's the pic:


3. I started the last semester of my supremely irritating teaching credential classes and was pleasantly surprised to find that it’s actually interesting, unlike every single other class I’ve taken. It’s a philosophy of education course and we spent a week discussing the notion of caring. I was dismayed to realize that I might not be as caring as I thought (from a theoretical standpoint).

4. Only 5.5 weeks until spring break #2!

5. I created a facebook account, which has been the best decision of 2009 so far. I was so opposed to social networking, but I think it was during a time when I was less laid back. I think it can be OK to get a glimpse into the lives of people you knew when you were younger. I have to admit though, it’s a bit shocking to be confronted with a completely different picture of a person than you remember. Personally, the biggest shocker is political affiliation. I guess while in childhood politics are abstract and don’t enter into your personal life. It sort of changes at 18 (when you can vote, and in CA at least, CHANGE THE STATE CONSTITUTION. wtf?).

No comments: