My blogging has suffered, yes. I made the wise decision (mistake?) to get the swine flu shot this weekend at the local walgreens. The flu shot totally got me sick, which is confusing to me, as the internet says it should not get a person sick unless that person is a young child immunized for the first time, which I, presumably, am not.
I’ve also stepped into dangerous territory at my job: sex-ed talks with my freshman biology classes. We’re studying cell division, see, which is directly related to reproduction, stem cells and cervical cancer from HPV. These are all topics of conversation from the past 3 school days. I have to admit that I’m not very good at it. I turn red and start to sweat and then I forget basic facts about STD’s and biology (not to mention grammar) and feel incredibly ridiculous. Some teachers are naturally gifted in this area, while I am certainly not. I’m trying to get warmed up for the month of May, when I apparently have to do an entire sex-ed unit centered on HIV/AIDS. It’s so scary! I have to say stuff to teenagers about sex! My brain sort of short-circuits because I’m not sure what I can and can’t say. What things get a person fired these days? I feel like everything, so I tend to say things that I don’t even MEAN. I’m so liberal, but I feel this URGE to tell them not to have sex until marriage. Why is this? I think this has to do with my general fear of Republicans and their fear tactics. At any rate, I had an actual student come after class and ask when the right time for sex was (in a totally earnest way). It took me off guard and I told him it was a personal decision (which I agree with, but then started to wonder if that was the right thing to say not because I didn’t believe it, but because I just don’t know what the party line is in schools these days. I’m not a biology teacher! I have no idea! Argh!). Anyway, I guess I’m trying to say that I’ll probably be taking a lot of personal days in the month of May.
1 comment:
Dude - when did they start making geology teachers teach sex ed? I remember in sex ed in 5th grade we got to write down questions anonymously. My friend Jenny and I wrote down "What's an orgy" just to see the teacher sweat. Keepin' my fingers crossed for you...
Post a Comment