Sunday, January 06, 2013

back to work

I came to the startling realization today that teaching might be the most torturous of jobs simply because of the sheer amount of vacation time inherent in the work (or as I like to call it, freedom).  When a break comes to its end, one enters into a slight period of mental anguish.  I've just had 2.5 weeks of freedom, and now I have to set my alarm, shower in the dark, and be in a place that is not my home (and not around my baby) for 8 hours.  Could life be any harder?  I try to do that whole silver lining thing--at least it's enjoyable, I get to think about science and create games/activities, I learn, I can leave at 3:15 if necessary.  But still, working anywhere is kind of the pits.  The beginning of any break is wonderful and life-giving and then the end is miserable and hopeless.  I like to think that I am a person who likes to work (because I will have to do it for the rest of my life), but on Sunday nights, I think I might have Stockholm syndrome.

But enough of that!  I will go in tomorrow with bells on because what else can you do?

In other break developments:  I bought and used a grommet punch (new 2013 vibe:  modifying tote bags to have adjustable straps) and I got a new point and shoot camera!  The benefit of having broken three P/S cameras in the past 5 years (two broken by children and the third run over by cars in the middle of downtown Seattle when I accidentally kicked it out of the car) is that I constantly get to upgrade/try something new.  I've always had Canons before, but this time, I'm trying an Olympus XZ.  Natan did a lot of research and waiting for the price to drop on Amazon.  This one was rated with the highest picture quality under $500, with particular excellence in the low light range.  So far, it's awesome.  Behold: some more pictures of the most beautiful baby in the world (TM). 

Eating prunes/oatmeal and looking out the window.  Obviously this is Theo's Blue Steel.

On the living roof of the Cal Academy--the DeYoung Museum is in the background.

We took a walk in the Alum Rock Park.
The moose hat was a good investment.

No comments: