Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring break (forever), Francophile, FB dissident



SB Forever:
Spring break began and it is awesome.  I already feel my freedom spirit returning!  It helps that we’ve already filled our time out nicely.  On Friday, we went to the Elkhorn Slough, which might be one of my new favorite places to go in the bay area.  It was completely empty and beautiful.  We saw lots of colorful birds and marshy lands; the baby was happy.  


 
On Saturday, we went to the mall for Theo’s mandatory (by me) easter bunny picture.  The great thing about these pictures is that they already look dated.  If it didn’t say 2013, you might think it was the seventies.  Everything in the picture seems to stand outside of modernity—the costume, bench, pillows—nothing says 2013, except what’s written on the paper.

 
We spent Sunday morning with our friends who have no interest in easter egg hunting and candy.  I hid eggs for their kids and bought them plastic toys.  That’s what you get when you’re friends with me, I guess.  Their kids had absolutely no confusion about a mythical bunny--they simply asked if I’d hidden the eggs.   






Like mother, like son?

Francophile:
To kick off spring break, I saw both Spring Breakers and Oz: The Great and Powerful.  Franco to the maxx, I say.  He was  truly out-of-this-world amazing in Spring Breakers, even though the movie was completely nuts and confusing (did the girls lying down in the bus as they went home indicate that it was all some sort of elaborate fever dream?  Who is Gucci Mane and why don’t I have a pseudonym that awesome?).  I don’t know about Harmony Korine, man.  I did see Kids in the theater when it came out, and I remember being unimpressed and slightly confused, but I was 19!  What did I know about high art?  I had the same feeling when I left SBers:  I think he has some sort of world view/vision/sense of irony that he feels strongly, but I think he might have ADHD, which prevents him from turning his thoughts into coherent art.  Carry on, I guess.  My verdict on Oz:  wasn’t awful, but a little boring.  I don’t know how I feel about the whole “The wicked witch is evil because her heart was broken” trope.  It seems really anti-woman and lazy (she’s ugly now that she’s a man-hater (Yawn)).  Was that in the book?  Maybe it’s OK if the movie was being faithful to the source material, I don’t know.

FB Dissident:
My discomfort with facebook is reaching a breaking point.  In the past few months I’ve learned that a former classmate (with whom I was only a very distant acquaintance at best) died and also that a childhood friend’s mom (who was involved in our girl scout troop) died.  Death really bums me out, and I sort of feel like as we go through life we are not meant to know about the death of every person we’ve ever met in any context (or their trials and tribulations, for that matter).  That seems to be what facebook does though--it connects us to far-flung random people, and then it makes us take in more about their life than we ever would.   What’s going to happen when everyone is old and starts dying?  It’s going to be painful, sad and cause old-age depression.  Social media is the worst.
   
It’s also really hard to draw the line of who to keep and who to get rid of, so paring down my (very modest) friend list gives me great anxiety.  There are some people that I haven’t talked to in years, but I still feel close and good about them, so I wouldn’t want to not hear about them.  Ugh, I wish I had the strength to quit cold turkey, but I’m too much of a stalker to do such a thing.  All I know is that it’s a good thing it wasn’t around during my youth/college days, as I would have gone insane. 


No comments: