We
took note of the beefed up presence of the university police around the streets
of Hyde Park, yet we could no longer relate to life there. We don’t face that kind of urban life anymore,
and it feels good (I wish no one had to face it). I think this might be at the root of some of the
big problems in our country—it’s so easy to forget what life on the other side
is like if you’ve seen it (and then left) and most people just haven’t seen poverty and
despair. I don’t think living in Hyde
Park necessarily gives you that experience, but the simple act of taking the El
from north to south can be illuminating. At any rate, the U of C was the first place we
went when we got into town. We walked around
campus and were struck by how awesome it is (though, like most experiences that
involve my past, I did do a little on-campus crying and life-choice
questioning).
The U of C is an intense place, and it’s hard to explain the
experience to outsiders (think about going to college exclusively
with the smartest, most intense and competitive kids in your high school and
then ratchet up the intensity by a factor of 10 (?)--that’s probably about
right). It is very weird to be a simple
school teacher who came out of a prestigious college filled with *very*important*people*. A surreal fact: when we got home from our
summer away, I was leafing through my college alumni magazine and in the SAME
issue there was an alumni note congratulating Nate Silver on some award he won,
and a letter to the editor from Philip Roth, protesting something Saul Bellow’s
son had said about him in a previous issue of magazine.
I mean, come on! Should I be
doing more with my life? (answer: no, it is AWESOME. I spend my mental capacities on other,
equally important things, like creating student scavenger hunts with funny
chemistry jokes in them, making felt toys and coming up with awesome inventions that stay mostly in my head (Example: climate change shirt: a shirt with a thin layer that has air
circulating through it (the fan that circulates the air will be powered by a
solar cell)! This shirt is for people in
tropical parts of the world (which are predicted to become unworkable in the next
80 years))).
BACK TO PICTURES! I
could not get enough of the Gothic architecture and lush ivy. Being on campus was like being in a magical
garden.
Let's begin at the Reynold's Club, home of many co-curricular activities, such as the University Theater and WHPK. That tower is where the radio station lived (I did a classical music show all four years. The first year, I was alone and then I partnered up with my friend Madeline, which made it more fun).
Inside is the dreaded seal, which if stepped on will delay graduation (of course I jumped on it many a time with no ill effects).
That door leads to hutch commons, which is where there are portraits of all the university presidents. (also the inspiration for my award-winning* peeps diorama)
Ivy covers everything (did they start some new growth or something? I don't remember this much ivy everywhere).
Different view from the courtyard.
Safety precautions.
Natan and Theo on the main quad, heading to Cobb Hall. I walked down that path so many times! Now I have a baby! (Weird)
Cobb Hall! My first work-study job was here, in the film studies center. All the good classes were held here (humanities, english)! Coffee shop in the basement!
The doors to Cobb. Again, I do not remember so much ivy.
Looking towards classics, from Cobb.
There are so many little spaces of beauty on campus that I never took advantage of.
Harper (home of the most beautiful library in the world, which was closed for the summer). DANG.
Just strolling in the gargoyles and ivy.
Now we're getting somewhere!
This is where I took logic! It seemed so much smaller than I remember. This was one of the few large classes I had (50 students or so). Most classes were tiny.
The Oriental Institute has an awesome free museum right on campus, which I am embarrassed to admit that I visited not even once in 6 years (too concerned with other trivial things. College is wasted on the young.) The OI is where Indiana Jones worked.
Waiting to go into the museum.
Natan REALLY wanted to have a picture of himself and Theo in front of this winged bull (with human head). It is kind of incredible in size and detail. It was transported from Iraq in the 1930's.
We also visited the Robie House (Frank Lloyd Wright), which was being renovated when we were students.
Rockefeller Chapel, where we assembled our first day on campus and heard a talk on Plato's Apology.
The baby doesn't read Plato, he tears up pop-up books!
View from the library to the main campus
I got an alumni pass to the library (sweet!), and went and visited my old "sleeping chairs". When it was unbearably hot in the summer, I would sometimes hang out here and take naps! (again, youth = wasted on the young). I also worked in the maps department of this library. We didn't stay long because Theo has no concept of an "inside voice".
Reyerson = math building. Is there any other university in this country that makes calculus a requirement for graduation? (no, but it probably should be, right? I mean training your brain to work in that way must be good for something).
My baby in a high chair at the Med (Hyde Park institution), where we ate twice.
No comments:
Post a Comment