Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Very Eventful Weekend

Things that happened:
1. I taught myself how to crochet using a combination of youtube videos and google image searches (also known as an independent study MOOC?  Maybe some other tech jargon can be employed to describe this?  I'm going to rewrite my resume utilizing only what I like to call corporate-America-indirect-speak.  For example, I am no longer a teacher, I am a human-information interface flow manager.).  My big fall 2013 project is a granny square (crochet style) rainbow blanket for Theo.

2.  I got into the television show The Sons of Anarchy.  I don't think I actually like it, but I am fascinated by the extremely good looking star of the show, who reminds me of SO MANY boys that I have had massive crushes on (until my "type" became Jewish and smart).  I've also been doing a lot of hard thinking about the choice of that actor and the role he plays (moral center) and I think that I would like to apply Kant's aesthetics on morals to this show as (an imaginary) media PhD dissertation topic.  You see, every person on that show looks like they've lived a bit too hard, EXCEPT for Jax, who is angelic and beautiful--the character who's moral conscience is often (and visibly) tested by his chosen/inevitable line of work (outlaw biker) is the most beautiful.  The ugliest character (externally) is also the most morally bankrupt (Clay).  I don't know what it all means, as I haven't read Kant for since I was an 18 year-old, but I'm pretty sure he said something about the beautiful people being morally superior to the ugly ones, an idea that plays out on SOA.  Readers of Kant, am I right on this?

3.  I officially took on my mother's frugality and spent $18.00 on nine clearanced clearance items for Theo's summer 2014 wardrobe (which means it was cheaper (but not more environmentally friendly) than going to a thrift store).  Who am I these days?

Here's how we eat yogurt around here (two spoons, excitement).





No comments: