Monday, April 28, 2014

Rody

Well, that was just about the most ridiculous spring break ever.  It started last Friday with such promise (about 3 hours worth) until Theo awakened from his nap with super gross pink eye and was sick all weekend, soon to be followed by me, sick all week.  Finally, this past Saturday, I had to go the weekend clinic for antibiotics for an ear infection ("we don't see many adults with ear infections").  Then I took Theo to the same exact clinic on Sunday only to discover that, in addition to pink eye, he had an ear infection in both ears and hand, foot and mouth disease.  (we also picked up some cream for his leg rash while we were at it).  When we were getting into the van I cried the cry of sheer frustration.  I was so looking forward to spring break and spent every single day of it either sick or caring for the sick.  Currently 2/3 of our house is on a course of antibiotics and the other 1/3 is on about 5 different pain and nerve medications.  Things are great around here! 

Can we talk about the medical establishment's rather sharp turn away from antibiotics this year?  I've been sick for most of the past 3 months, but could not, for the life of me, get a prescription for antibiotics because my symptoms always "sounded viral".  It literally took a super painful ear infection to finally get the amoxicillon I have so desperately wanted for the past 3 months!  I mean, I'm pretty sure there had to be bacterial stuff going on with my congestion/cough, but the (Kaiser) party line was no antibiotics.  Someone told me they won't even give antibiotics for sinus infections in small children anymore. 

Coincidentally, on the way to the weekend clinic I heard a Kaiser radio ad espousing the medicinal benefits of hugs.  Is this where we are now?  I sort of just figured, given the startling rate of technological advance, that we'd have some sort of mechanical organism that could be implanted in our bodies to dissolve our old organs and replace them with new machine ones that will never fail or tolerate illness. 

I did read a book over the break, in my sick haze (the Circle by D. Eggers), which was discombobulating/frightening as it's supposed to be dystopian, but seems sort of contemporary. 

Theo has a Rody horse, on which he loves to bounce for approximately 20 seconds at a time (but it is the happiest 20 seconds ever!  ...so I guess it's a must-have toy?).

And he has a stuffed horse (which sometimes kisses his mama and his bears).

No comments: