1. Every single freshwoman completes the “women’s place project”, an art-science-history-religion interdisciplinary project based on the Dinner Party by feminist artist Judy Chicago. I should mention that this school project was conceived of by an awesome SND (nun) who’s into feminist art and who traveled to LA specifically to see the exhibit when it was there (feminist and/or environmentalist nuns are the best ).
2. Today I accompanied my homeroom to a presentation on obstetric fistulas. It was such a moving presentation that resonated with me, as a mother and woman, deeply. Is it too late to go to med school? (…was my thought after learning about it). I also didn’t know what they were until this presentation. In my crappy, rural public school, women’s issues were never discussed in any capacity (and, in fact, a student was allowed to hand out pro-life flyers in bio. UGH.)
3. They are smart and funny and unfettered by the obnoxiousness that is teenaged boys. I hate arguments about how we live in a co-ed world and we have to teach them to live in it. 1. I think they know how to live in it just fine, given that the patriarchy is everywhere around them and 2. They are teenagers whose brains are undeveloped, and my personal, anecdotal experience has proven that it is important for them to hear and see female leadership—when I taught in a public school, I literally did not hear a girl voice all year in one of my classes because teenage boys blurt out whatever is in their head the second the thought forms. Don’t get me started on this issue, I guess.
4. My dear conceptual chemistry class, which has me heartily laughing at least once every block. This week, a student had aviator sunglasses on for an entire class (with a note from mom attesting to her need to wear them) and I was shown SO MANY cell phone pics of guinea pigs with top hats (they are also really good at photoshopping themselves in with various celebrities)! They are a fun-loving and chemistry-disinterested class, which I think is probably OK.
On to some pictures from before the onset of 7-week winter illness! (I will not soon forget or stop mentioning this winter's loss of vibrancy) Earlier in the year (January), we took a phone-guided tour of the north beach area. It was so fun (we only completed half of it because of an epic lunch break in the middle that ended with a completely melted down baby and a very expensive tab for bad pizza)!
We visited City Lights bookstore, and walked around the north beach (Italian) neighborhood. I think an intense spell (maybe spring break?) of geocaching is in my future!
Natan bought some literary inspiration
A six year-old took this picture of me and Theo.
No comments:
Post a Comment