Having a geriatric (over 35) pregnancy means that this old lady is eligible for extra testing, including a genetic test that was just made commercially available in the last few years that analyzes fetal DNA in a maternal blood sample to look for chromosomal anomalies (and can tell you sex). I, of course, opted to do this test for the new baby and therefore got to learn the sex of the baby in the first trimester! (it’s another boy) Since I will be parenting two boys, it seemed really important that I go see the movie Boyhood this summer. It was a beautiful experience and almost better than any 3D movie to see the same characters age over the course of three hours. It seemed unreal and a little disconcerting at first, because I’m so used to seeing clearly different actors, rather than the same, aging face. It was exactly what a movie should be, there’s no huge conflict set-up or revelation. It’s just a collection of events that illustrate the poignant mundanity of life. It was funny and light and every moment seemed perfectly written. I watched Top of the Lake afterward and it just seemed like an unnecessary addition to my viewing life after seeing Boyhood.
My current small boy becomes more amazing by the week. Here’s a sampling of the funny words that make up his vocabulary:
In = orange
Peem= pink
Yun= one
Bree= three
Bouf= four (this is the funniest one to us)
Ives= five
Eaten= eight
Abreem=open
Mambers= numbers
Triangle= triangle or rectangle
Bimand= diamond
He now wears his glasses most of the day and at his last eye appointment, I was told that his lazy eye is improving and he might not need surgery (but his vision is getting worse ☹)! It was kind of a big deal because for the past six months I've been the failure parent that can’t get her son to wear glasses or a patch, and is lazy about the drops. Parenting success!
Hydrating is serious business!
He's so short.
What a ham.
He owns the pool (2 feet deep around the edges).



No comments:
Post a Comment