Monday, September 01, 2014

It has begun

Well, the school year started and so far, I am tearing it up!  I find the countdown to maternity leave to be a particularly strong motivator.  Working really hard seems OK, because the end is relatively near!  This weekend was an epic work-a-thon that involved the completion of our radioactivity google site.  This thing has everything—embedded video, forms, a google spreadsheet model, pdfs, word docs, pictures, a short story, a speech from Richard Rhodes, and the dataset we generated with grams of all of the radionuclides released during Chernobyl (the crown jewel!).   The amazing thing is that this is literally just a draft.  Nothing is ever finished in education and we haven’t really tried to use any of the stuff that’s in there yet.  

I also completed several essays for an application for something that I’m not totally sure I want to do, but since I’m in turbo work mode, I thought I might as well throw some stuff out there and see if anything sticks!  I remember doing this the year I was pregnant with Theo too (who can forget the online classes I took while on maternity leave to clear my credential?  Certainly not I!).  The good news is that the work for this thing would be pretty minimal and I learned over the summer that I really need some sort of obligation to keep me happy and functioning.  This summer was a little too unstructured for my liking and it became really hard to do basic stuff, like make phone calls and buy food.   As much as I like to think I would really enjoy doing nothing all day, it kind of sucks to not have some project going in the background.  

Secret confession:  I have been watching the Duggars in the evenings before I go to bed.  I’d never seen that show before last week, and it popped up in my Netflix account as a recommendation (why?).  I’ve had a few thoughts:

  • They are so far from my reality that it seems like a work of fiction.

  • What a great case study of people who are admittedly afraid of change and modernity!

  • I can’t believe I have the same clothes-buying philosophy as the Duggars.

  • Statistically speaking, at least two of them have to be gay.  They can be the change!

To conclude this most boring of entries, here are some pictures of Theo from today--washing his feet in the sink and drinking from the faucet.


No comments: