Sunday, September 14, 2014

N to the YC

I only got to the first part of our east coast trip, so here are some pictures from our mini-trip (4 nights) to New York back in June.  We stayed on a houseboat I found on airbnb and I think I would rate it a success!  It was very far away from Manhattan, but it was cheap, quiet and kind of cool to see a different part of the city.  My big revelation was that I hate NYC.  The last time I was there, it seemed fun and exciting (maybe because we stayed at Hotel 17!).  This time, with a toddler, it seemed like there were lots of hurdles to overcome, the main one being the lack of ANY elevators at the subway stations.  I was seriously blown away by this—we had to carry Theo/stroller up and down sets of stairs everywhere.  What do single mothers do?  How about people in wheelchairs?  Or the elderly/infirm?  The city is literally un-navigable by public transit for part of the population.  This really colored my experience there.  The good parts of the trip—I finally got to go on a walking tour with the Tenement Museum, we got to celebrate an elopement!, we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, we tested out the bathroom finder app with much success!, we got to eat at Katz’s again, it was not unbearable weather, the houseboat had a great fish restaurant next door so we ate lobster for two nights(!!!!). Now that I’m writing about it, I guess I’d go again, but for only three days (I vowed to never go again when we were there, so statement redacted!).   PICTURES!

 Family Brooklyn Bridge shot.
 A shipping container house in Brooklyn.
 The Manhattan Bridge.
 MB from underneath.
 The Brooklyn Bridge.
 Mouth full of carob.
 Ready to run everywhere.
 Brooklyn Bridge.



 Carousel under the Brooklyn Bridge.
 Glasses wearing started to take hold on this trip.
 Manhattan Bridge in the distance.
 Very common scene.
 BFF's from PT High!
 We begin our journey
 I think everyone who walks the bridge takes this picture.  It was cloudy when we were there.
 Brunch!
 Synagogue nestled into city
Got an amazing bra fitting done here in '08.  Orthodox Jewish guy literally looks at you, sticks his hands into some cardboard boxes and pulls out the perfect bra for your body (then you get further fitted by his wife).  What a talent!
 As a new walker, all Theo wanted to do was walk around and be free.
 Tenement Museum walking tour.  Old department store.


 So cute when sleeping.
 Natan in Katz's.
 The scene at lunch.
 Fancy schmancy.
Backdrop near central park where Theo slept for 2 hours. Traveling with toddler = not fun.

No comments: