Thursday, July 09, 2015

to infinity and beyond

One of the things that I love about teaching is that it allows one, if motivated, to sort of approach it as “academia-lite”.  There are many professional development programs and advisory roles to participate in as you choose.  There’s even a Fulbright strand for teachers and many grants and fellowships.  It’s pretty much one of my favorite parts of the job.

About a year ago, I applied to be a part of NITARP (NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) IPAC (Infrared Processing and Analysis Center) Teacher Archival Research Program) (!).  This program pairs up teams of teachers and students with an astronomer to undertake a year-long original research project.  I applied because I fell in love with space science when I took my first ever astronomy class at the ripe old age of 28 (life-long learning!).  At the time, I was also deeply involved with the television program Farscape, and studying cosmology seemed like the coolest profession in the world.  As a part of this program, I went to that AAS workshop in January (and then had Charlie two weeks later!) and will go to the next one in 6 months.  I also just spent a week at Caltech working with my teammates on a first round of data analysis.  I will say right off the bat that my team was pretty awesome—cool and smart teachers, along with motivated and curious students.  We spent a good chunk of our time becoming black hole experts by being repeatedly asked to explain blackbody radiation, the structure of black holes, differences among different classes of black holes, and Hubble’s Law, among many other details of the project.  If you are ever interested, then I can certainly regale you with some black hole fundamentals.  

An interesting thing about the study of our universe, that was hard for me to keep tabs of (especially when looking at data), is the fact that, since everything in the universe is moving away from us, all data that is collected is, in essence, false data.  We may record a certain number of photons with a specific wavelength, but that means that the wavelengths that were actually emitted (they call them rest wavelengths), are shorter.  So we detect stretched-out wavelengths, not the actual wavelengths, and certainly not in real time, but from billions of years ago.  When your project is on ratios between wavelength bands, this becomes tricky to tease out.  It sort of boggles my mind because we are detecting artifacts of the stretching of space and time.  Once you focus on a large dataset, these big pictures ideas fall away, though, and you are left with a matrix of wavelength plot combinations, slopes and R-squared values.  It was exhilarating to use my brain in that way again.  Every job requires you to think/act in certain ways.  Teaching uses a different set of skills than research (obviously), and it was exciting to be back in the land of 8 hour excel work days. 

Part of our week also involved half day tours of Caltech and JPL.  I have never given much thought to either, other than a passing understanding that intense science and math happens at both.  It was also apparent that, as with Einstein, genius does not come without consequences.  We passed by a statue of George Ellery Hale on campus and were informed that he would periodically have to take sabbaticals in order to regain his mental health and JPL has the legacy of Jack Parsons and his interest in the occult (I’m currently reading Sex and Rockets!)—apparently there was a concerted effort to delete him from JPL history (unsuccessful, obvs.).    

Here are some pics of stuff!

Natan drove down with Theo and I took Charlie on his first flight!  

 Dazed and confused.
 Conveniently fell asleep at take-off.

Our first day started off with a tour of Caltech:
 There are only 1,000 undergrads!  But the campus is huge.
 The astronomy building was designed to look like the sand crawler from Star Wars.
 Spanish mission style walkways.
The "gene pool": the tiles of this pool look like strands of DNA.  My favorite part of the caltech campus was all of the cool science architectural flourishes!
 Cool building geometry/lights.
Carbon bonds fence!

After a few days, we had a very detailed tour of JPL:
The main building, where a deer was walking on the steps!--really made me think of the film, I Am Legend.
My favorite thing at JPL--an art installation that visually depicts JPL's communications with various missions--the lights stream down the name of the mission and the relative amount of data is represented by number of lights (lots of lights = lots of data).  The lights that stream up represent the relative amount of data/commands sent to the missions.
 A model of the rover.  The wheels imprint the Morse code for "JPL" into the Martian soil.
I really loved all of the 50's fonts on the buildings and would like to designate a space for project formulation in my own house...
 A model of the surface of Mars--used for Rover testing.
 Where stuff gets assembled.
Look at that huge container of liquid nitrogen!  That's a lot of shattered roses.

We took two nighttime outings during the week: to the Santa Monica pier and to the Griffith Observatory.

 Inside Griffith.  We had to park way down the mountain and walk up.  It is packed nightly.
Classic Griffith.
 They love each other.
 Fourth of July fireworks from our front porch.
 Beach babe.

I'm now in muggy, hot Boston, where I'm roughly halfway through a funky fellowship at the Massachusetts Historical Society.  It's the closest I will ever come to being a historian, and the task of working through compilations of presidential papers and original documents with the intent of putting together a story (or in my case, educational materials), is much harder than I imagined.  I will have much more to say about this experience later.
 
 Charlie and I flew to Boston together!
 The comfort of Sophie makes the trauma of flying a little easier.
Part of my project involves looking at Thomas Jefferson's voluminous collections of letters (he wrote 19,000 during his lifetime).  This one is a treasure--he details the ways in which he is personally taking measurements of climate change parameters!  Once I find a cool one  (transcriptions are much easier to read), I then embark on a mad hunt to find the original.....kind of like Nicholas Cage in National Treasure.

No comments: