OJ Simpson
Scientology
invasive reptiles
the marginalization of native Americans
the draining of wetlands
strippers
the booming low-budget FL porn industry
racism
the election of W.
the rape epidemic on college campuses
Ryan Lochte
climate change (specifically sea-level rise)
I cannot think of one positive association, except for an
awesome snorkeling experience I once had with Natan (but even then, I remember
feeling way too hot). FLORIDA! (said
with annoyance and condescension)
Anyhoo—I am at my second, and most likely last, professional
astronomical meeting. I am approaching
this one as I approached AGU—I am not going to what I should go to, but rather
what I want to go to. Should I have
learned more about dust in space, and AGN?
Probably. What did I learn about instead? The history of astronomy—about a man named
Joseph Henry, who advocated for the integration of physics with astronomy
(astronomy used to be just positional, that is the movements and locations of
objects were studied, but not the dynamism of space), about how asteroids were
considered the “vermin of space”(!), about the early inklings of dark
matter. Plus, I got to see a picture of
the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile in front of the Lowell Observatory! Now that’s what I call a scientific session!
We had a big meeting to practice the introduction to our
poster, which made me feel a little wistful about this experience, which then
led to a full on personal crisis wherein I pondered the meaning of adulthood
and came to the conclusion that I am either living my life so incredibly right,
or absolutely wrong. Am I going to miss
working on this project? It has been like a second job to me for so long, but like most things, the struggle kind of makes me
love it more. Then I thought about the
terrible business dudes on our tram and how completely sure of themselves they
were—in apparently all life choices--and I thought, is that the definition of
adulthood? When one stops thinking that
they’re going to be an astronaut and just accepts where they are with gusto and
too much confidence? I have clearly not
done this. Maybe adulthood is knowing
that you are going to always change, personally and professionally, and it’s OK
to think, for one brief moment, when you are nearing 40, that maybe you’ll
become an astronomer? Me no
understand.
Things accomplished on my plane rides:
Viewed Pitch Perfect 2, which was delightful, and thought
about Rockappella.
Listened to 1/3 of Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Between the World and
Me and cried inelegantly. His prose is
beautiful, and in the audiobook he pronounces “ask” as “axe”, which is such a
powerful rebuttal to the racists who use this facet of Ebonics to dehumanize African-Americans. There’s a lot to chew on in there, and though
I had the time, I did not have the emotional capacity to listen to the whole
thing in one sitting. I think the US would be a better place if everyone were
required to read this book, along with David Simon’s The Corner. Sadly, I think the people most in need of
these texts (the all lives matter folks) would be the least willing to read
them.
Christmas pics (just a few):
It was a pretty epic break, which included the
reorganization of Theo’s room and the purchase of a new (used) car (we are now
a two mini-van family. Kia forever.)
Here is my new phone background picture. I cannot get enough of these two children. It's important to notice that Theo is wearing two necklaces and holding three ba-bas (it's his vibe right now):
Everyone is in this photo thanks to selfie-stick technology! (except for baby Charlie because he was sleeping)
My dad fell asleep while babysitting.
Driving the van at the CDM.
Wearing a space jacket, carrying a bear box, going to a neighborhood party.
Finally visited the Winchester Mystery House. Loved it.
Also visited some fondant Star Wars creations:
No comments:
Post a Comment