In the early 00s, a chef named Christopher Sell opened a restaurant in NY where one of the most popular items on the menu was the deep fried twinkie. I read in an interview with him that he’ll honor his client’s wishes to fry other things too. Tofutti cuties? Fruit roll ups? If you’ve ever wanted to experience them batter dipped and fried in oil, then this is probably the restaurant to visit.
This weekend, I had the delicious experience of tasting both a deep fried twinkie and a deep fried oreo. Where you ask?
This lovely place, known as the Santa Cruz Boardwalk…

Oh, so very many times my lover and I have descended onto this amusement park on the ocean to play air hockey, fly a kite and sample sugary refreshments. We’d seen the twinkie cart, but were too shy to walk up to the counter and check out it’s offerings. This time I was brave. I went with my out of town visitors, Candice and Pierre, and we played on the beach, rode the “logger’s revenge” and ate deep fried food.
Some facts (selling points?) about the deep fried twinkie:
Calories: 425 (as opposed to 1000 for funnel cakes, and also fewer calories than a big Mac. This information was generously provided by the twinkie cart manager)
Taste: not as sweet as a “plain” twinkie. Perhaps the batter takes some of the sweet edge off?
Cost: $3.50
Overall: ¾ stars
The Santa Cruz boardwalk is mainly populated by these creatures, also know as “teenagers”.

So strong and resolute it sits, with a dancing twinkie man on the side (not pictured).

What’s this? They now serve more than the cart would suggest….

Two deep frying baskets. (One hungry patron)

He was really nice and informative (see caloric info) and also eased my trepidation about such a strange (yet delicious!) journey into the world of battered and fried.

The Twinkie, with fancy powdered sugar and cherry/strawberry (really hard to tell) sauce.

The Oreos which were seriously really really good—much better than the twinkie, though I have no caloric information as they are a relatively new addition to the menu.

Candice modeling the enjoyment that comes from eating such a twinkie.

Chocolaty center of the oreo.

No comments:
Post a Comment