Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Fired up! (about so many things)

Tonight, feeling the need to be productive, I decided to make my favorite cake in the entire world (chocolate-coffee-angel-food) and some egg salad. This particular combination of food stuffs requires 2 dozen eggs to concoct. That’s 24 eggs that will probably be taken into my body over the course of the next week! Granted, mostly the whites, but protein, here I come! Being a normal human being (and certainly not a cross country runner), however, I do not have 2 dozen eggs sitting around in my refrigerator. I was forced to trek down to the closest store (ghetto Albertson’s) to stock up on my egg needs. Unfortunately, ghetto Albertson’s does not have any kind of “good eggs”. I could either get vegetarian fed eggs or cage free eggs. Not the combination of them both, and most certainly not with a fancy (and pricey) organic label. This fact was particularly upsetting given that it is the primary grocery store for people in EPA (who are mostly poor). Shouldn’t fancy chemical free food be readily available for poor people too? I feel like Whole Foods should give a 50% discount to low-income families while maintaining their inflated prices for everyone else. It’s frightening that in the US good food (and therefore good health) goes to the highest bidder (the wealthy). Wouldn’t we save much more money in the long-run on health care if we made cheap healthy food available to the poor? Candice says that this idea sounds too fascist, like we’re forcing a certain lifestyle and culture down people’s throats. If a person wants to eat hot cheetos, then let them eat hot cheetos!

Getting fired up about this subject also made me get fired up about other assorted political subjects, like the Valerie Plame thing. I read an amazing article about it tonight that had me totally disgusted with Karl Rove and his evil brain. Maybe it’s just the lunatic liberal in me, but how can the man not be involved in something so treacherous and dangerous? The article explained the difference between the two types of spies that we (as a country) employ and dissected the amount of time and trust it takes for both the spy and our country to make covert operations successful. Other people who associated with her unknowingly could be dead right now, and there Rove sits, fat and content in Chevy Chase, MD with all the other haves. Let the indictments begin! But hey, there are so many Republican political scandals to be following this month that’s it’s really hard to pick just one. It’s like hurricane season for debauched power mongers.
The Iraq war
Tom DeLay
Harriet Miers and the obvious religious pandering in which Bush partook whilst at a press conference.
OK, no more politics for a while. I'll just stick to powering through DVD entertainment!

Then I talked to my wise and insightful gentleman friend on the phone and he proceeded to tell me about the history of the pregnancy test (which is apparently family dinner conversation material). It began with the “rabbit test”. Apparently, suspecting pregnancy, a woman used to have her blood drawn and her hormones were subsequently isolated and injected into a female rabbit. The rabbit was then killed and if it’s ovaries had dilated, the woman was pregnant. From this test came the expression, “the rabbit is dead” or, as Aerosmith said, “the rabbit done died”. I’ve always known that this was an expression peculiar to the 50’s or 60’s or something, but I always thought it was a secret cryptic way to give someone a message so that no one would understand what was going on. Sort of like code, though if it was common I suppose it wouldn’t really be “secret” or “code”, but rather vernacular. But such was my young brain that it could not logically carry through a thought!
So the “bunny test” led to the “frog test”, where a woman’s urine would be injected into a male frog and then that frog’s urine would be tested for something or other in order to gauge pregnancy. This got me thinking about how public a woman’s reproductive life used to be. Just to find out if she was pregnant involved at least a doctor, technician and an animal. Man, thank goodness for the home pregnancy test!



No comments: