Monday, October 17, 2005

Notes from my DVD player

Something truly wonderful happened last night. I went on a spiritual, nay emotional, journey with Metallica and it was transcendental. If you have not yet partaken in the goodness that is “Metallica: Some Kind of Monster”, then I implore you: go to the library RIGHT NOW and check it out (that’s right, the well-funded Palo Alto library had a copy!). It is like visiting a foreign country or perhaps new love. Totally mind blowing and exciting in that it is so NEW and you feel as if the rest of the world must be nuts for not experiencing that exact same thing that you have miraculously stumbled upon. This is how strongly I feel towards this work of art. I believe that if you lived through the 80’s, or maybe just heard of the 80’s or care at all about fame and popular culture (in a psychological or philosophical sense of course), then you simply must see this.

A few highlights/summary:

Metallica is working on finishing a new studio album. Their bassist has quit the band to pursue other musical endeavors (ECHOBRAIN). The band is in intensive psychotherapy (like every day to the tune of $40,000/month).

This leads to much “processing” and “talking about feelings”. Many statements begin with the phrases, “I’m feeling…” and “What I’m hearing is…”

At one point, there is a big group therapy session with band members and filmmakers.

There are many slammed doors and the hyperbolic revelation (from Lars) that it takes James many (42) beers to be able to express his love (for Lars (who clearly needs it)).

“Summertime is beer drinking weather.”

A scene with black stallions galloping along a pristine ranch!

OK, since I’m in the first stage of love with this documentary (obsession) I cannot muster an analytical/cynical eye towards it. Just be forewarned that there are many, many gems of enlightenment in this one. Totally amazing (in non-ironic way).

No comments: