Monday, March 09, 2015

6 weeker


Charlie is six weeks old!  The first six weeks of life are so chaotic, with no routine. They are a mixture of A Nightmare on Elm Street (no sleeping) and Grey Gardens (shut-in with a messy house).  I remember when I was pregnant with Theo and one of my coworkers told me that the haze starts to lift at six weeks.  It was the best thing anyone told me because that six week mark became my beacon in the very miserable night.  I don’t know that we quite have a routine now, but I at least understand Charlie’s way of functioning better than I did six weeks ago (super gassy).  I guess there’s just no way around the misery (except for a nighttime nurse and a wet nurse, which I would totally have were I wealthy). 

Six weeks is also the time when the doctor gives you the all clear to enter into polite society, and the point at which I finally got rid of my hospital cup.  That hospital cup is sort of like my security blanket.  It comes from the time right after birth when the world is filled with such hope and happiness--when it seems like sleepless nights are totally fine and won’t impact your mood/thoughts/functioning at all!  It is so very exciting to have a baby that I almost don’t fault the Duggars for doing it again and again.  Being pregnant makes the world tender towards you and having the baby sets off a flurry of love and well wishes that make you forget income inequality, environmental destruction and the other harsh realities of life for a few weeks. 

Despite my horrific induction, I pretty much nailed it in the hospital this time.  I even had two separate nurses compliment me on how easy it was to take care of me!   I entertained 3 different sets of guests during my stay, made a call to Malta to talk to my friend and did not stress out at all over my new baby.  With Theo, it was all so terrifying and new and I remember being on the verge of tears when leaving the hospital because I had no idea what I was doing and how to have a baby.  I was ready and excited to leave the hospital with Charlie.  Though as I was wheeled out, the medical assistant did regale me with her story of losing a baby, so there was that. 

Here are some more hospital pictures:
Just born kangaroo-care with father (we think).

 Pouring the bubbly (apple juice) for our hospital provided celebratory dinner!

 Enjoying said dinner.

Water-fetcher with my comforting hospital cup.

I haven’t been able to do much so far on leave, but I did read 50 Shades of Grey, which was a truly terrible book and not at all enlightening.  Anastasia Steele, a college student in 2011, calls her computer the “mean machine” (?).  Poorly, poorly written characters and no plot, just like Twilight, but that’s to be expected given its origins I guess.

I also wrote a brief project synopsis for my black hole research, which wasn’t very fun, but at least I finally understand what a blackbody is at nearly 40 years old.  Why did I even go to college if not to learn the basics of our natural world?

No comments: