Saturday, March 14, 2015

Brothers




Theo likes to hold “baby Charlie” (as we call him in our house) every day.  Sometimes he does little pokes at his belly and sometimes he brings his head really close and gives him a graze/kiss.  When I look back at pictures of Theo during infancy, I think he and Charlie look exactly alike, though they are nothing alike in babyhood at this stage.  
 Theo in grandma's lap in yellow outfit!
Charlie in grandma's lap in yellow outfit!

Theo loved a binky and a swaddle and Charlie isn’t into either one.  He will tolerate a swaddle, but always tries to escape.  As a result, it takes much longer to get Charlie to sleep.   Charlie is super reflux-y and gassy, which makes our classy and cute Moses basket defunct.  I bought a rock and play for him to sleep in, so he’s always at an angle.  Charlie is more alert and vocal than Theo was, and needs to be held more.  He’s still an easy baby who loves to sleep (thank goodness, otherwise he might not fit in with this family), but more work in some ways.  Theo was the most relaxed, happy, easy baby, so I really had no idea what a “normal” baby would feel like. 

I’m excited to see these two grow up together.  Having a same-sex sibling is territory that neither Natan nor I experienced.  In that big study on reported familial happiness, families with two brothers rank third in happiness, behind two sisters at #1 and sister-brother at #2.  Families with more than two children all rank as unhappier than those with two.

Speaking of brothers, I am deep into The Wire and have been reflecting on how freaking beautiful, fully realized and universal the Stringer Bell-Avon Barksdale arc is.  They are two people raised in the same environment and with the same goals, but totally different personalities, and therefore preferred methods of reaching those goals.  Avon has allegiance only to the streets and Stringer is the cerebral one who seeks legitimacy as a businessman.  I did not notice before the poetic justice in each man being upended by the system he tried to escape—Stringer by the streets and Avon by legitimate law enforcement.  Their arc also made me reflect on my childhood and immediate family.  My brother always loved playing Monopoly with my cousin Eric and I always loved running outside and jumping on the trampoline with my cousin Joe.  Today, one of those pairs owns houses and has money-making careers and the other pair have traveled a lot and do not own houses (but are free of spirit! (and money)).  Same upbringing, different personalities.   


No comments: