Friday, November 05, 2010

Ora et Labora, Hail Notre Dame!


Working at a religious institution no longer phases me. When I first started working at the all-girl Catholic school, I was a little taken aback by the prayer that preceded our new teacher orientation. It was also strange to literally see all of the students in outfits similar to Britney Spears’ in “hit me baby one more time”. But now, it’s just old hat. I grew up in public schools and had jobs for various government and non-profit institutions that would never incorporate prayer into the daily flow of things. It’s not a big part of the school, and the students try to incorporate prayers from all religions, including the Jewish and Islamic faiths, but still…there are prayers at my job, which takes some getting used to since it’s never been a part of my school or working life. I remember taking a trip to Italy with my friend, Paulina, seeing a nun on the train and being so tickled that she was decked out in her habit and her wedding band (to God). Now I see a nun EVERY DAY! My knowledge of the nun lifestyle has been rounded out and it just seems normal to me now. I’ve been to a nun retirement home (they are very well taken care of and get fancy meals every day, which may or may not include beef barley soup). I’ve heard them speak about education (very eloquent ladies, I might add) and I interact with the nun who volunteers in the library after school. They don’t wear habits (but do wear my mother’s favorite brand of clothing—Alfred Dunner), they do wear their God wedding bands and they seem very happy and intelligent. Nuns are sort of awesome, tender ladies!

Other things about religious private school:
--world religion classes (these girls know more about religion than most people)
--deep and serious commitment to community service
--liturgies with dancing and the wave (for real!)

Interesting to note: I experienced more resistance to the teaching of science from my “rural” public school. I have not had one child express any objection to science at my urban Catholic School.

Little known fact: Catholicism embraces the big bang and evolution (and the progress of science in general). Not controversial to them, dudes! Why is it controversial to other forms of Christianity?

No comments: