Thanksgiving break = maximizing our time to cram in several mini-vacations. We went into the big city, where I received my biannual fancy haircut at Vidal Sassoon. My partner saw the temporary post-Impressionist exhibit (on loan from the Musee de Orsey)on display at the De Young museum for the 3rd time in as many weeks (we became members for precisely this reason). I opted out and instead watched ice skaters in Union Square and reveled in my freshly cut hair (which left tiny hairs on my nose, causing temporary alarm (am I becoming a goblin?)).
We went to the iconic City Lights bookstore (Ginsburg!). As we crossed the street, we were honked at. Who does that--We're pedestrians!? Don't worry, I flipped him off, like a real woman.
I was browsing the fiction section when I saw this:
I am in love with the idea of Ulysses. My birthday is Bloomsday, and it makes me feel special. Joyce's dedication to this work is commendable (if not totally narcissistic). But this is downright off. It has been give prime shelf real estate and I am going to express doubt at its appeal for most (read: all) customers. It's not bedtime reading. It does up the intellectual ante for the store though, so kudos, City Lights!
The illuminated books across the street from the bookstore. They are beautiful and fluttery and make the street pretty.
Blurry bus and busy street.
There are many opportunities for high caliber entertainment. I freaking love bright, blinking signs more than just about anything.
1 comment:
We were just there last night! Also saw Beach Blanket Babylon for the 1st time. It was great.
Post a Comment