Tuesday, November 26, 2013
day is done
Thanksgiving break has commenced with a pretty epic day. For starters, coffee cart was waiting and the caffeine was a-flowin’. Next, I taught a class that approximately 200 grandparents walked through over the course of an hour. It was the closest I’ve become to being a zoo animal and I did not like it. There was a thin layer of nervous perspiration covering my body the entire time. Imagine if 200 people came to casually watch you do your job! It was too much. I then had a 10 minute break before being peppered with intense questions about human population growth from my AP class, during which I had the sad thought that teaching that class can sometimes resemble a dissertation defense prep. You never know what they’ll ask! They’ll ask things you can’t answer (“How do you actually calculate the I in the IPAT equation?” I DON’T KNOW. It’s more like a philosophical concept and less like a mathematical equation? Geez, go watch some Hannah Montana. These kids today! They have buckets upon buckets of knowledge. I was proud to fully understand fractions in high school.)
Finally, I got home and watched a video of the child of an old girl scout buddy performing a "dramatic interpretation of the star spangled banner” at a talent show (What even is that? If Theo performed such a thing, it might be grounds for disowning, unless of course it was done ironically, with a bald eagle shaved into his head. I mean, really? Haven’t they heard of magic tricks, dance routines or joke telling? LIKE NORMAL KIDS?!! I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the parents had a hand in suggesting this display of “talent”). This was immediately followed by a text from a favorite cousin about a literal bald eagle sighting and an e-mail from my alma mater proclaiming that they have the most national merit scholars of any college (To which I say, way to make old alums from less competitive times look good? It's disheartening to know I would have a snowball's chance in hell of getting in now. And does this mean my peeps diorama competition is going to get way tougher in the future?)
DAY IS DONE. (gone the sun. from the lake, from the hills, from the sky) (girl scouts represent)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment