Friday, November 15, 2013

Exceling on TGIF

There are seven more working days until the holiday of giving thanks.  I can not wait because it means several things:  the semi-annual appearance of coffee cart at work and sleeping in until it is light out for five consecutive days.  I am teaching human population in APES, which has evolved at least one lesson that is a legitimately good use of excel in the classroom--population growth modeling.  It was pretty neat to see that Belize will double it's population within 30 years.   Also, the fact that our simple growth model can be applied to saving accounts and interest accrual was a perfect illustration of the power of excel (that it is useful for everything).  My only gripe about this educational endeavor is that the spreadsheet function in google drive (which is copycat excel) won't add trend lines, thus thwarting the learning of the few students who don't have excel on their computers.  Why is this?  (legitimate question).  At the end of the block a student said, "I used to hate excel, but now I love it."  And thus concluded a week of shaping young minds and skillsets.

Today I came home to this precious curly-headed baby perfecting the art of balancing his bowl on his nose.

No comments: