Monday, November 04, 2013

new career in shopping



I do a lot of shopping at Savers (thrift store)—mostly for Theo and mostly because this was the hottest new mom tip I ever received from one of my friends.  At this point in my life, I also think it is the right thing to do for our planet if at all possible, but admittedly not applicable in all situations.  Young children outgrow clothes before they wear them out.  But shopping at thrift stores is obviously an art.  There’s a lot of not good stuff and a few diamonds and it takes time to classify these things in one visit.  At this point, however, I am really good at finding higher quality things relatively quickly.  I don’t even need to look at the tags anymore to know if they are Baby Gap or Gymboree clothes, which led me to the realization that I would a really good dresser/interior decorator/lifestyle maintainer for someone who was very brand conscious, but also not wealthy.  I could use my thrifting skills to make sure that they have the brands they want for very little money.  I do realize that the fundamental flow in this career plan is that they will also not have the money to pay me.  Also, maybe this is what consignment store owners do?   Or maybe this IS a good skill that could be used by wealthy people looking for ways to cut back?    

A partial list of amazing bargains found:
--New Pottery Barn sheets for $3
--Barely used Stokke high chair for $5 (this was such an amazing find that I got a congratulations from the woman behind me in line!)
--Baby Gap sweaters for $2
--Tomy eggs toy for $2
--Perplexus for $4
--Santa top for $2
--Many new lift-the-flap books for $.50
--Virtually all of the Sandra Boynton collection, barely used for $.50
--CAT mining truck toy for $3

No comments: