Monday, November 18, 2013

Thoughts Journal


In an effort to manage the barrage of random thoughts that go straight from the mind to the mouths of students in a certain class that I teach, I instituted the "thought journal".  The thought journal is for recording those thoughts that don't pertain to the topic at hand, but are instead the result of a wandering mind. Thoughts such as, "I'm hungry", "I like my socks today", "I'm getting paid this afternoon", "I wonder when class is over" are all things that are now being written in a special section of their binder, only to be read at the end of class if we cover all our material.  It's pretty great so far (1 day) and I think it's working (we got through the lesson with minimal interruption).  In honor of the thoughts journal, here are some that I had in the last hour:

When will I stop listening to our local hip-hop/top 40 station?
Is it weird for a nearly 40-year-old to know who Ariana Grande is?
Is platypi a word?
I'm confused--how old is Olivia Pope supposed to be?
Will Theo's manual dexterity get better when he walks?
Does IKEA still have the mini Christmas trees with blinking lights?
What do Kimye actually talk about?
I wonder what it's like in Iceland right now.  (to be honest, that's a daily thought)




No comments: