Saturday, November 01, 2014

November 1: co-parenting, halloween, crappy phone pics

Theo got sick on Thursday, stayed home from preschool on Friday and is currently sleeping the sleep of the dead today, Saturday. We think he has croup again. And since we have all of the inhalers and steroids, we are fine with not taking him to the doctor and instead just medicating him. This is the freedom and danger of parenting, I guess. I think in general, Natan and I are a pretty kick ass parenting team. We are able to huddle, charge and conquer in perfect unison. Last winter was really rough, with worry, sleepless nights, much immune system sickness but also the possibility of neurological problems. There was a barrage of testing, testing, testing and meetings, meetings, meetings. In retrospect, we handled it well, I think. That’s the thing about partnership—it can be challenging and not work all the time, but when it does work, it’s the best thing in the world. I am grateful that out floundering is over trivial crap and our triumph has been in places where it matters, like Theo and larger life issues. I know that this is not always the case, as having children can really make people hate each other. I don’t think it makes any relationship better or worse, I’m just happy it’s worked out this way for us, so far. Natan is a great dad in all the ways that I am not a great parent (endless patience for playing with trains and love of taking Theo to fun places) and I excel at things he hates—taking Theo to the store, managing schedules, buying stuff, endless eye appointments, making things move quickly. It’s a good co-parenting fit, I think.



 
This year, we bought Theo a bee Halloween costume (he’s in the bee room at preschool and I thought it would be ADORABLE), but he refused to wear it. He would wear the head piece after Natan turned it into a fun chasing game (we spent a couple of weeks trying to coax him into this costume). I also got him one of those superhero t-shirts with a detachable cape, which he would wear since it’s sort of what he wears everyday anyway. None of that mattered, since he was sick on Halloween and didn’t leave our house, but I did make him wear it, just for me (Natan would have let him stay in pajamas all day).



*yes, that is a half-size guitar in our home (that actually works really well!) Theo had been playing with my old guitar and I decided to get him a size appropriate one, which he strums every day along to any song he hears.  I would spend literally all of my money to encourage his interest in music since it is so important to me.  I care not if he knows how to do things like snow sports or karate, but music and swimming are non-negotiable.  On another side note, Mozart was being presented to and performing for the Kings and Queens of Europe by this point in his young life.

No comments: