1. My TA, whom I have known for three years, (1st as a chemistry student, 2nd as a geology student, and now as a senior who is my TA) brought me a marshmallow, chocolate and caramel covered apple before school. It was huge and delicious. I thought the day was off to a pretty good start.
2. My second period biology class is filled with mostly freshman, who are incredibly young and sweet. They kindly pointed out that I’d forgotten to grade the back side of their test. This realization was devastating to me as a person who takes great pride in my ability to be on top of things and organized (well, at least at my job).
3. My 3rd period class is very loud and crude. I had to fight the following battles for appropriate behavior—the singing of “sexual healing”, the raucous laughter when I mentioned coronal mass ejections in my review of the sun, students sitting on each other’s laps and the constant use of the phrase “that’s what she said” (didn’t this die 10 years ago?). I would consider this a mild day.
4. My 6th period class officially became dysfunctional today, with a serious near fight over the use of the word ghetto and the stealing of lab equipment. After things unraveled, there was talk of how the aggressor in the near-fight (who I sent outside) was “on something” and therefore seriously (like knife-wielding) a threat to the other student. Then, when I mentioned doing bag checks for the missing equipment (which was recovered), another student said there’s no way his bag could be checked because he had “stuff” that he wasn’t going to let anyone see. Now, there are about a ten referrals that could have been written, but what is one to do with so many serious issues (theft, threats, drugs—both using and selling, insubordination)? I was just proud of myself for not crying.
And that was my day! It was just a good ‘ole average day at a huge comprehensive high school.
Look! A tarantula!
1 comment:
Doh!
Post a Comment