
Last night, I moseyed on down to the HP Pavilion to take in a little Leonard Cohen, melancholy king. It was absolutely amazing. He performed for four hours, singing his more popular songs, punctuated by spoken word poetry and several re-introductions of his band.
That man lives in a world of high emotion and drama and for that reason, he is infinitely appealing. He has ridden the crazy-train of love and manages to write about it in the most insightful and beautiful (and often humorous) ways. Though he is not the most charismatic of stage presences, it was so revealing to hear him sing live. All of his songs took on layers of depth that I either didn’t know were there or I had forgotten about due to the repetitive nature of recorded music. Live music is so much better.
The dude is also 75 and I feel like I can cross of another item on my life satisfaction list. Also, I’m not sure when or how I started listening to L. Cohen. It seems like it must have been late high school/early college, but my initiation into his genius is fuzzy.
The only thing that could have made it better is lasers. If there were some fog machines and the gentle stylings of some laser-light, then the night would have been perfect.
1 comment:
I love that lyric in your post title. Apparently his new live album is amazing...I think this post inspired a little Sunday afternoon download!
Post a Comment