Acronymizing Veteran’s Day is funny and sad at the same time. San Jose had their annual Veteran’s Day parade, filled with lots of older people ravaged by the tragedy that is war, and Boy Scout troops. I spent the day mostly trying to perfect the “parade heckler” persona that seems to come somewhat naturally to me, especially when the paraders are boy scouts, girl scouts, or marching bands.
I nearly lost it when the first girl scout troop came by, and felt compelled to yell, in quick succession, “girl scouts!”, “cookies!”, and “thin mints!”. When Boy Scout troop 32 walked by, I (helpfully) informed them that that was also my age! Marching bands seem to be my true weakness, however, as I LOVE band and all of its incarnations (concert band, drum corps and orchestra). I couldn’t resist the urge to yell, “I love French horn!” and if none was present, “I love mellophone!”. Another successful parade (and some weirded out troop leaders)!
No comments:
Post a Comment