Though I have conveniently avoided the swine flu thus far, my weak immune system finally caved in to a moderately severe head cold. I took the day off to sleep, watch TV and buy cat litter. I caught the ending of Thelma and Louise, the Fifth Element, the Obama documentary on HBO, Wheel of Fortune and the new V series. I’d say that’s a pretty successful day of TV. I had a bit of a mind jolt when I went to Petsmart, only to stand in line behind a strange woman and three kids that should have been in school. They were shopping for supplies for a “new puppy” that was a 9 month old un-neutered rottweiler. First of all, who in this country adopts a baby rottweiler (well, besides Michael Vick)? Having adopted a lovable ball of fur from the Humane Society, I can tell you that shelters are full of rottweilers (and chihuahuas) that need good homes. I wholeheartedly support bringing a new animal into your life, but seriously? It seems inhumane (and ironic) to not adopt an animal since you are, supposedly, an animal lover. I get that people don’t want a rottweiler for obvious reasons, and so they are disappointed by the options in the shelters, but if you want one…? Totally sketch in my mind to not adopt.
Furthermore, shouldn’t those kids be in school? Whenever I’m home sick or otherwise not at my job, I become very sensitive to the presence of people under the age of 16 out and about in the world. They need to be with their peers—in a classroom--where they text when they should be listening to their teachers!
No comments:
Post a Comment