Friday, November 13, 2009

LTCG


Guess what!? Larry the cable guy is coming to town! He’ll be performing down the block from us at the HP Pavilion in a few weeks! I didn’t exactly know who Larry the cable guy was, but I like to laugh, so it’s super convenient that comedy central was playing reruns of his “comedy” so I could do a taste test.

First of all, his southern accent is clearly fake. Having grown up around southern accents, it’s pretty easy to affect one, and therefore tell when others are doing the same. A quick perusal of wikipedia confirms as much.

Secondly, this is the guy responsible for the phrase, “git er done”? What does that even mean? In the LTCG special, he just says it at the beginning, obviously knowing that that’s what his audience wants. It manages to sound sort of dangerous to me, but maybe I’ve been reading too much Jezebel.

And finally, his jokes are rapidly dispensed, baring no coherent line of thought or subject. They are awful and seem to focus on a few main hateful themes: liberals are dumb, retards are funny, women aren’t people, urban culture (ie black people) is retarded (actual joke!), emotional relationships are unimportant, shooting animals is fun.

This is what America wants? I realize that I isolate myself in a den of intellectualism (or at least think I do and/or would like to), but this guy makes me feel so incredibly different from those who pay actual money to see him--like maybe we aren't descended from the same primate ancestors after all.

1 comment:

Jon O'Donnell said...

"Git er' done" is common parlance in the Alaskan bluegrass subculture. I've also heard the words scramble to say, "Done git'n er."